domingo, março 23, 2008

More Sekhmet, Amenhotep III, Colossi of Memnon

Day School being held in Wigan on the 5 July 2008:

-from Sue Corcoran-

I am a member of the Horus Egyptology Society (Wigan, UK) and for many years now, the Society has supported the ‘Colossi Conservation’ Project on the West Bank of Luxor. We make regular donations to the project and a few years ago bought a water extraction pump, which was desperately needed.

A group from the Society usually go out to Luxor for a fortnight every Jan/Feb, and each year we are extremely privileged to be able to meet, on-site, Dr Hourig Sourouzian, the Project Director. She is a very courteous lady who is always happy to answer questions, and delights in sharing news of her work and updates on the project.

This year is incredibly special, because she and her husband, the notable Professor Doctor Rainer Stadelmann, are finally able to include a visit to Wigan on their annual tour of Europe (and this year, America)

Professor Stadelmann is the Director Emeritus of the German Institute of Archaeology, and has excavated numerous sites on the West Bank over many years and is highly regarded.

The exact content and format of the day, Saturday 5 July 2008, is still being arranged (I will update you as soon as the details are announced) and the location is the JJB Stadium at Robin Park in Wigan, Lancashire. The Horus meetings (held every 8 weeks) usually start with a meal in Rigolettos, a superb Italian restaurant at the stadium, and the price of the ticket to the day school includes lunch there. Morning coffee is also provided.

The previous two day schools have been a great success. In 2006, Jac and Rosalind Janssen gave and interesting and interactive day school on Deir el-Medina. In 2007, Joann Fletcher and Steven Buckley produced a great day on Mummification (no, this one wasn’t interactive!) but it was extremely interesting, she brought a head! OK, it was a reconstructed head.

So, if you would like to come along, please contact:

John Johnson, Chairman of the Horus Society on 01942 741954
Christine Fishwick, Secretary of the Horus Society on 01942 517958

More Sekhmet statues discovered at Luxor (Kom el-Hettan):

From some years now, several statues of Sekhmet have been found all over the site around the Colossae of Memnon, Luxor West Bank and the Karnak site and Mut temple site at Luxor East Bank.

Some of them are scattered around the world in Museums, others are at the excavation sites (recent found ones) and are going to Egyptian museums after restoration.

More on:

Statues of the Goddess Sekhmet, Albert M. Lythgoe, The Metropolitan Museum of Art Bulletin, Vol. 14, No. 10, Part 2: Statues of the Goddess Sekhmet (Oct., 1919), pp. 1+3-23doi:10.2307/3253827

Amenophis Redivivus Cyril AldredThe Metropolitan Museum of Art Bulletin, New Series, Vol. 14, No. 5 (Jan., 1956), pp. 114-121doi:10.2307/3257632This article consists of 8 page(s).

Egyptian Temple Yields 17 Statues of Lion-Headed Goddess:

Enigmatic discovery:

Temple of Mut, Karnak

Brooklyn Museum Dig Diary:

Hopkins in Egypt today:

A monumental Egyptian torso of the lion-headed goddess Sekhmet auctioned at Sotheby's, York Avenue at 72d Street:

Dr. Hourig Sourouzian and The Colossae of Memnon Project

The temple of Amenhotep III at Thebes excavation and conservation at Kom el-Hettân (Second report on the third and fourth seasons in 2000/2001 and 2002), Mitteilungen des Deutschen Archäologischen Instituts. Abteilung Kairo (Mitt. Dtsch. Archäol. Inst., Abt. Kairo) ISSN 0342-1279, 2003, vol. 59, pp. 425-446

Seating and standing statues of the lioness-headed goddess Sekhmet are a common sight in many museums. Most of them were recovered from the temple of Mut at Karnak, where some are still visible. But their original provenance was without doubt the mortuary temple of Amenhotep III at Thebes, where 365 standing and 365 seated Sekhmet figures formed a litany in stone to propitiate the goddess lest she act with the negative power of which she was capable, thereby affecting the king and through him, Egypt.
Amenhotep's temple fell into decay around 100 years after his death, and was used as a convenient statue-quarry by many later pharaohs. Considerable numbers of these statues were moved to the Mut temple, and some kings added their names to the statues in their new locations, although this example is uninscribed. The socket on top of the head was for a headdress, probably a solar disc, made from a separate piece of stone.

B M Bryan in S Quirke (ed.), The temple in Ancient Egypt (London, 1997), 57-81

Sem comentários: