domingo, janeiro 08, 2012

Packing...

Started to pack a week ago as there are climate changes, things I still need to buy, others I am using and need to bring along, others still washing, other stashed somewhere I need to look for...
It will be the first time my new Rimowa will travel and I hope it is the first of many trips it does. Especially bought to long trips and resisting bad handling, this piece of luggage is already full and straped today.
Now I am listing what it is inside, what do I need to work for two weeks in an excavation in the desert, some days of sightseing and some days in the city (Cairo).

It looks like the house we are staying in has not got many pieces of furniture so, it is best to leave your clothes inside the suitcase.
Weather is not that hot at this time of the year, so we need to take long sleeved t-shirts, pants, and something to warm ourselves in the morning and night (I will bring only a Mexican coat and a gym sweat shirt, plus my vest).

I don't know how it will be with meals (what do they consist of, meat? cheese? fava beans (I hope so), and since I cannot have stimulant drinks (coke, coffee, black tea) I am taking cammomile bags, decaffeinato, menthol mints, cheese and crackers...

A bag filled with brushes, all sizes, a dental instrument, tweezers, surgical gloves, a human bone manual, working sheets, more plastic bags, pencils, erasers, pens, pencil sharpeners, scissors, paper cutter...

Another with detergent for clothes, anti-insect powder, plastic bags for garbage, incense (Tibetan), cosmetics bag (reduced to essentials), a pair of slippers for shower and black tenis shoes, to variate from the working boots I am carrying all day...

Most of this stuff will be left in Egypt, but the space will be filled with Egyptian spices, books and souvenirs...

I am so looking forward to meet friends who are working in other excavation sites, and Egyptian friends who are in Egypt now. Some sightseeing is in order, repeated tours and new ones, in the company of a great friend, also a colleague, and later, her family too, will join us.

Hoping that elections will bring a new and freshened Egypt and that Egyptians are free to live as they want, not forgetting that the safeguard of artefacts and monuments, as well as sites are of the essence.
Still, to Egypt or anywhere in the world, and after so many years of travelling, more and more each year, I can tell you that the most necessary and indispensable items on a trip are: VISA card (with available balance, no use flashing it and having zero money to spend), a charged NOKIA phone (preferably with an Egyptian SIM card); I take two, an international one (Portuguese SIM card) and another one for foreign SIM cards.

 A full pijama and socks are also packed and (sorry Egyptair) I am planning on taking (borrow) a blanket and pillows from the plane...
 I know they won't mind...
 I also checked the refurbished Cairo Airport site and see that now we do not have to change terminals from international arrivals to domestic departures...nice.



Looking forward, as always, for my trip, this time, having three flights in one day, but with a special gusto as I will be doing what I like most, in the place I like most, with colleagues I also am very fond of...
 Alhamdulillah or !!! الحمد لله

Sem comentários: